These Buffalo Chicken Sliders have become a family favorite. Today we’ll show you the easy recipe and the keys to making great buffalo chicken sliders without dropping anything into the deep fryer.
A year or two ago a friend got us started with a free trial of Blue Apron. We enjoyed it and have since ordered family meals from time to time. If you’re not familiar with Blue Apron it’s a meal delivery service that delivers weekly recipes with pre-packaged ingredients right to your door. This is not meant to be a full review, but I’ll offer my quick opinion on the pros and cons:
Blue Apron Pros
- the food is great
- good variety
- you can customize your order
- they make it easy to skip weeks (you only pay for the weeks when you are sent meals)
- you end up learning some new great recipes and cooking techniques
- saves you shopping time
- reasonably priced, around $10 per serving/meal
- Blue Apron invests in the enviroment and commuties by partners with farmers to raise high-quality ingredients
Blue Apron Cons
- The menu is only set so far in advance, so you can only skip so many recipes at a time and then eventually you reach a point where the upcoming menu/meal option are not known and so you can’t mark them as “skipped”. I totally understand why this is the case, but since most weeks we do not want Blue Apron, it would be nice if there was an option to have “skip the meal” as your default setting where you would then only receive meals when you choose them. Invariably we’ll turn off 5 or so weeks of meals, but then forget to check back in and then a Blue Apron delivery shows up on a week when we weren’t expecting it.
- Some of the meal preps are still pretty involved.
- As stated the pricing is reasonable, but it still is going to be relatively expensive for families working on tighter budgets.
- Not all the meals are the healthiest and although you can customize to some degree (we skip beef and pork since Melissa can’t eat it), many recipes include dairy and gluten and I don’t think there is an “allergy friendly” option.
So that’s mostly a thumbs up for Blue Apron from us. The food is great. The pricing reasonable. You just have to stay on top of the your delivery schedule.
We’ve enjoyed a number of great meals from Blue Apron and one of our favorites was a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. We are big fans of the way in their recipe the chicken thighs are pan cooked and have adopted that strategy to come up with these Buffalo Chicken Sliders, a slightly adapted version of their Buffalo Chicken Sandwich.
Our Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Since we have started making these they have become our son’s favorite meal! This is unheard of, before buffalo chicken sliders he wouldn’t eat anything that even approached the sandwich category. Now that he loves these we’re finding he’s open to trying other things between bread. A big win.
Better still, this has become a meal that the whole family eats and has become an almost weekly staple. We also assemble the leftovers and put buffalo chicken sliders in lunches for the kids. Seriously, a meal that is ready in 20 minutes that is also eaten in lunches? What are the chances of that? Pretty darn slim.
We also love that the preparation is relative easy. After seasoning with salt and pepper and coating with flour, the chicken thighs are pan-fried for 4-6 minutes a side. That’s not bad at all as far as dinner prep goes in our book. And you only have to use a small amount of flour and oil, so health-wise we figure it’s better than something that is heavily battered and dipped in the deep fryer. When we are really pressed for time, we have thrown the chicken thighs seasoned with only salt and pepper on the grill and skipped the flouring altogether. It isn’t quite as good, however, it is faster.
Top off your sandwich with some fresh lettuce and some blue cheese crumble or dressing if you like (our kids prefer to skip the blue cheese). And, of course, don’t forget the Frank’s Red Hot. I’m sure there are a number of ways one could create their own buffalo sauce, but we all love frank’s red hot, so it’s one less thing we have to worry about!
Buffalo Chicken SlidersPrint Rate
- 2 T . olive oil
- 6-8 boneless , skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 c . flour
- salt and pepper
- 12 slider rolls
- 6-12 lettuce leaves
- Frank's red hot sauce
- 1/2 c . crumbled blue cheese
- creamy blue cheese dressing , optional
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper and then coat with flour.
- Heat oil in two skillets on medium heat.
- Once hot, place half the floured chicken thighs in each pan.
- Cook chicken for 4-6 mintues per side.
- Remove chicken from heat to a paper towel lined plate.
- Wipe pans out with a paper towel and return to stove on low heat.
- Heat buns inside down in pans until browned and toasted.
- Assemble sandwiches with 1/2 a thigh each, lettuce, sauce of desired amount, and crumbled blue cheese (or creamy blue cheese dressing).