Today we’re sharing our recipe for Instant Pot Potato Salad with green beans, fresh herbs, and dressed with a vinaigrette. I’ll talk about some of our prep tricks (hello Instant Pot!), what types of herbs we like to use and how to keep it vegan.
Instant Pot potato salad may be a newer thing, but Potato salad is a longstanding summertime classic. I mean c’mon, it’s just not a picnic without potato salad. Don’t you agree? So maybe the question shouldn’t be Are you going to have potato salad?, but rather, What kind of potato salad are you going to fix? Because it comes in all sorts of varieties and I like most of them. 🙂
In this instance, I let our garden guide the way:
We have tons of spring herbs currently in our garden. I have been trying to include them in many of our favorite dishes. I like adding chives to our cream cheese for a cream cheese and chive spread. I use thyme in this thyme simple syrup which comes in handy during cocktail hour. And I love to make this homemade ranch dressing with a mix of whatever is growing. And so…
…I decided some fresh herb potato salad would be perfect now that we’re into warmer weather. It’s funny how seasonal foods mark the passage of time, right?
With fresh herbs as our inspiration, I decided we’d make vegan potato salad. And I knew it would be super easy thanks to my new best friend…the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Potato Salad
I’ve been using our Instant Pot a ton lately. The pressure cooker feature really does save time when cooking. I made potatoes in the Instant Pot when preparing our cheesy chive potatoes recently so I knew Instant Pot potato salad was the way to go. No more overflowing pot of boiling water on the stove!
I cooked the potatoes quickly in the Instant Pot, opened it up and removed the potatoes, then threw in the green beans in a steamer basket, closed the lid and vent, and quickly cooked them. Previously, when I tried cooking the green beans in the Instant Pot I overcooked them, but this time they came out perfect. I think when you start with the water already hot and ready to go, you get the quick steam effect. When they are done, throw them in an ice water bath for a minute to stop the cooking and they are ready to go!
The first ingredient for the dressing in this Instant Pot potato salad is white wine simmered for 6-8 minutes until reduced. Then added to olive oil, vinegar, whole grain mustard, salt, pepper, and a ton of fresh herbs. Use your favorite combination. The first time I made it, I used parsley and chives. The second time, I used chives and dill. If you are a tarragon fan, that would be perfect as well. Tarragon grows perfectly in our garden, but I just can’t quite get over the black licorice flavor of it. Once you have cooked, peeled, (or leave the skin on if you like your potatoes with the skin on) and chopped the potatoes, and cooked the beans, mix the potatoes, beans, and dressing in a bowl, then refrigerate.
Why the green beans?
Why not? Seriously though, they do add something to basic potato salad. If you aren’t a fan, skip them. Same with the reduced white wine. I think if you are avoiding alcohol or are worried about your guests, just double the vinegar or add some lemon juice and skip the wine. I googled it and although simmering the wine will lower the alcohol content, it will not eliminate it completely.
Keeping it Vegan
No mystery here. As mentioned before, there are many kinds of potato salad. If I were making a mayonnaise based potato salad or one that featured egg then I would have needed to think about substitutions, but with fresh herbs and a vinaigrette, you are good to go!
More Instant Pot Recipes
Check out some of our other easy instant pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
Vegan Instant Pot Potato Salad with Green Beans
- 3 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- Wash and cut potatoes in half.
- Place 1 cup of water and the potatoes into the steamer basket in the Instant Pot.
- Close lid and vent on Instant Pot and press manual 8 minutes.
- When 8 minute cycle is done, press cancel and let naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure, open lid, and remove potatoes with tongs.
- Add washed and prepped green beans to Instant Pot, close lid, close vent, and cook on manual for 1 minute
- When beans are done, quick release, remove steamer basket carefully, and place in an ice water bath for 1 minute, then drain.
- While potatoes and beans are cooking, pour wine into a small pan, cook on medium low, and simmer for 6-8 minutes until reduced by half.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, and reduced wine together. Mix in mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Peel potatoes once slightly cooled (you can leave the peels on if you like them on).
- Combine potatoes, beans, herbs, and oil/wine mixture together in a large bowl and stir gently until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.