Eggs are a staple breakfast item in our house and a great way to start your day with some high-quality protein. But it starts to get boring if you have the same thing over and over again so we like to take advantage of the many ways in which eggs can be enjoyed: scrambled, fried, poached, hard-boiled, as frittata, as part of a breakfast casserole, and as part of an omelette. Adding to the versatility of eggs they always seem to pair well with fresh produce. Recently when looking for a super easy breakfast with ingredients we had on hand we came up with this easy Tomato and Feta Omelette with Shallots. And we’ll definitely be having it again!
Grape tomatoes are something we usually have on hand in our garden and we love including them in our meals because of the pop of taste and because of the fresh vibrant colors.
We are such huge fans of fresh shallots and so we purposeful always try to have some available. Over on How To Simplify they have a great list of tips on information on shallots. Things like:
- Shallots won’t give you bad breath like garlic and onions
- Store them in a cool dry place with lots of air circulation
- Don’t store them too closely together because they contain a lot of moisture and can mold easily
- Prepare with care — they overcook easily
- They tend to pair well with dishes that call for white wine, cream and butter
We are big fans just because they really add a burst of flavor, but avoiding garlic breath is a bonus! 🙂
Feta cheese isn’t a typical cheese you think of when you think of omelettes because it doesn’t melt down easily and smoothly like a fontina, but we love clumps of feta — SO FLAVORFUL! — so we figured we’d go against the grain and make a Grape Tomato and Feta Omelette with fresh sauteed shallots. Super easy, but super good.
It’s just your standard omelette prep: whisk together some eggs, saute your shallots (and tomatoes if you want), and then bring it all together. We stayed with our normal cheat of finishing the top side of the omelette under the broiler. I know there are lots of ways you can flip an omelette and it’s not that hard, but why risk the shame and frustration of having that thing fall apart when it’s just so easy to use the broiler? 🙂
So the next time you want a vibrant and flavorful breakfast, try out a tomato and feta omelette!
The easy recipe:
- 1/2 T . coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- handful grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 small shallot (diced)
- 3 large eggs
- olive oil
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add shallot and saute 2-3 minutes.
- If you want, add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Scrape shallot/tomato mixture onto a plate.
- Place the pan back on low heat.
- Thoroughly whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Pour eggs into pan.
- Cook until mostly cooked through approximately 4 minutes.
- Broil top of omelette for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from broiler.
- Add the feta cheese and shallot/tomato mixture
- Fold in half.
You also might like: