Over the past year or two we really have been cooking a lot with curry paste and coconut milk creating things like our Thai Butternut Squash Soup. We really love these ingredients which maybe explains why we really LOVE Thai food. You love it too right? Our latest creation featuring these ingredients is Potato and Green Pea Curry Soup.
Even though we have hit the summer months we find that we still fix a lot of soup. I think maybe this is because it’s a really easy meal to pull out and reheat during our busy schedules. It’s just not realistic to think we are going to have time to prep a new meal every night, especially when we often find ourselves fixing two meals: something for the kids and something for the adults. So we’ll tolerate a half hour over the hot stove if that means a few easy meals in the days to come!
Since our garden peas are still doing well, and also usually available at the local produce stands, we tend to do lots of stuff with peas this time of year. Our kids love to help shuck them. And they love to eat them. In fact their consumption rate tends to be pretty close to their shuck rate, but high consumption rates of healthy vegetables is a problem we can handle! We just buy peas in bulk and turn it into a big shucking party. The kids eat a ton, but then we still end up with enough for cooking. The idea of the Potato and Green Pea Curry Soup came from marrying some of our favorite Thai flavors with my family’s Pea and Potato tradition.
We haven’t yet attempted to make homemade red curry paste. Homemade is often better, but to keep things simple this is something we just buy. If you have trouble finding it in your local markets, don’t worry, Red Curry Pasteis just a mouse click away. You gotta love how you can find just about anything via Amazon. I have to admit sometimes I don’t know how I got along before Google and Amazon. As a quick aside, we lost power at our house the other night and I momentarily went into a panic mode without the connectivity we’ve become used to. I rebounded and realize unplugged time is important, but I do REALLY LIKE the convenience of being able to have key ingredients shipped to my door.
There’s nothing overly complicated about this pea and potato curry recipe, but having a steamer basket and an immersion blender on hand certainly comes in handy. You can get a great immersion blender from amazon for around 35 dollars.
We love our immersion blender. It has proved to be a great investment and is especially convenient when making soup. You can of course use a traditional blender, just take care to not burn yourself. I have a special talent for burning myself regardless (it’s a gift), but luckily I’ve gotten the hang of the immersion blender and it does seem to cut down on soup making mishaps (knock on wood).
Potato and Green Pea Curry Soup
- 18-24 small new potatoes
- 1-2 c . shelled garden peas
- 1 Tbsp . coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp . finely chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp . red curry paste
- 1/2 Tbsp . brown sugar
- 2 c . vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz . coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- Set up pot with steamer basket and start steaming potatoes.
- Once they are almost done, approximately 15 mintues, add peas (I sometimes throw in 8-10 of the pods as well to add to soup, but they are very fibrous).
- Cook an additional 3-4 minutes and drain pot.
- Meanwhile, start the curry by chopping the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Add coconut oil to pot.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add curry paste and sugar and stir and let cook for another minute.
- Add broth and coconut milk.
- Add about 1/3 of the potatoes and peas.
- Blend with immersion blender (or scoop out 1-2 cups of soup and add to a blender with 1/3 peas and potatoes).
- Add remaining peas and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and heat through.
- Serve over rice.
You might also like: