Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto is one of our new fall favorite recipes. It’s vegan, it’s gluten-free, and it can be on the table in 30 minutes after only 5 minutes of prep time and then a short time in the Instant Pot! Read on for all the details.
We use pumpkin puree in many of sweet recipes–like this vegan pumpkin french toast--but haven’t tried it enough in savory dishes. We are big fans of butternut squash and asparagus risotto, so we decided to try Instant Pot risotto with pumpkin puree. It’s definitely a recipe we will use again. Because it’s good and because…
Instant Pot Risotto is easy!
As a busy family, we love recipes that save us time and this risotto recipe is great since we don’t have to shop and roast anything ahead of time. Also, the Instant Pot makes risotto sooooo easy! No babysitting on the stove and adding a little bit of broth, stirring, adding more, stirring, repeat forever. It’s not hard if you have the time and aren’t frazzled. But, if you are a parent and in a hurry, risotto on the stovetop is not going to go well. But with the Instant Pot it’s a breeze.
This Instant Pot pumpkin risotto recipe is dairy-free, vegan, and gluten-free. If you aren’t worried about any dietary restrictions, feel free to use your broth and butter of choice. We used our favorite vegetable broth (or make your own with this homemade vegetable broth recipe) and used a vegan “buttery spread” rather than actual butter. That’s one of the reasons I like arborio rice so much, it is pretty creamy all on its own and the lack of cheese or butter really doesn’t detract from the recipe.
We used sage in our pumpkin risotto recipe and basically fried it until crispy in the olive oil. Then removed the leaves and used the flavored oil to saute the onions and garlic and then cook the risotto. The leaves are then crispy and can be either crunched up on top of the final dish or left whole. If you aren’t a fan of sage, I think rosemary would work as well.
Looks good, right? We hope you’ll give it a try. And if you’re a risotto fan you might want to check out these 18 Tasty Risotto Recipes from Brit + Co and see how many of them you can convert to Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sage leaves
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan buttery spread
- Press saute on Instant Pot and heat oil.
- Place sage leaves in hot oil and let sizzle for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove sage leaves and dry on a paper towel.
- Add onions to Instant Pot and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add arborio rice and stir. Let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and deglaze the pot.
- Add pumpkin puree, salt, and pepper.
- Close lid, seal valve, and press manual cycle for 7 minutes.
- Once cycle is complete, turn off Instant Pot, quick release, open and stir. If rice is sticking, add a little more broth and deglaze bottom of pot.
- Add vegan butter and stir.
- Top with crushed crispy sage leaves and serve.