This Instant Pot Gluten-free chicken soup with wild rice is our latest Instant Pot recipe and a new favorite. It’s gluten-free and dairy-free so it works with my dietary restrictions and it’s really easy to make. Read all the details below.
We’ve been making a ton of Instant Pot Soup and cool weather recipes lately. We tend to make food in batch mode and with the Instant Pot it’s just so easy.
It also usually means lots of leftovers that we can pull out for additional meals. Instant Pot chicken and wild rice soup build in flavor so leftovers equal a great warm and hearty meal. We’re relying on meal and leftovers like chicken soup to get us through the final stretch of winter.
We tend to make a lot of chicken recipes because my alpha-gal allergy means no mammal related ingredients. Chicken soup is always great and we wanted to try an Instant Pot chicken soup that contained wild rice.
About Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Traditionally, chicken wild rice soup has a roux, a mix of butter and flour, mixed with milk added to the soup to thicken it and make it creamy. So good!
Keeping the Soup Gluten & Dairy-free
A traditional roux is great unless you have a problem with gluten or dairy. In this recipe, we have substituted the roux and milk with coconut milk. It won’t be quite as thick as the traditional recipe, but it is still pretty delicious!
If you really want that extra thick texture, feel free to add something like cauliflower, potatoes, a vegan/gluten free roux or any of these ideas for thickening soup without dairy.
What kind of chicken can you use?
We use cubed chicken breast in this recipe,
If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, this soup will still work:
- Cook without the chicken.
- Then, add the cooked chicken in with the coconut milk after the pressure cooking is over and let it warm for several minutes.
Some of our other Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
On to the recipe:
Instant Pot Gluten Free Chicken Soup with Wild Rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups broth
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup wild rice
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- Press saute button and add coconut oil.
- Add in onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in broth and scrape bottom of the pan to remove any onion or garlic that may be stuck to the bottom.
- Add all other ingredients except for coconut milk.
- Close the lid, seal the vent, and press manual or pressure cook button and toggle to 35 minutes.
- After pressure cycle is complete, let natural release for 15 minutes, then release pressure.
- Stir in coconut milk and serve.
Anne|Craving Something HealthyFebruary 17, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Wild rice and a creamy base sure takes chicken soup to a whole new level! I don’t have an Instant Pot, but I’ll be making this in a regular old soup pot!
mywifecancookFebruary 18, 2019 at 7:30 pm
So good either way you cook it!
ChristineJanuary 30, 2021 at 5:06 pm
I need to use up some barley. Can I use it instead of wild rice?
mywifecancookMarch 28, 2021 at 6:15 pm
I think that would work. However, you will probably have to change the cook time to match how long the barley instructions say to cook.
MelissaSeptember 19, 2021 at 3:51 pm
This one is a super easy crowd-pleaser!