Today we’re sharing our homemade taco sauce recipe. It’s easy and it holds several advantages over store bought sauce. And if taco sauce is your thing, you might also want to check our our fish taco sauce recipe.
Anyone else obsessed with taco sauce? We’ve started using it in quantities similar to our ketchup usage. It all began with taco night during which we found out our kids really like it. They started demanding it in large quantities. We like that they enjoy taco sauce and we’re hoping it leads to them liking more of our healthier chili and taco recipes. But anytime your kids start demanding food in high quantities you want to be sure you know what you are giving them. And the only way to be sure of that is by going homemade. So today we’re sharing a homemade taco sauce recipe. Read on for an ingredient list you’ll be able to pronounce (bye bye high fructose corn syrup).
The Advantages of a Homemade Taco Sauce Recipe
- quick and easy to make so you’re never more than a few minutes from a fresh batch
- ingredients you can pronounce and feel good about serving your kids
- customize to your liking with your favorite spices and fresh ingredients
- It lasts a few weeks so you can make it once and enjoy it for many meals
- Your kids will like it. Our kids never even noticed when we made the switch (Shhh!), they just kept asking for more
Our homemade taco sauce recipe is super easy to throw together. That’s important in a busy household when time is short and meal prep is a big challenge. But this is just a tomato puree base with water, white vinegar, honey or agave and then some our favorite spices. We tend to not go too spicy with our taco sauce because our kids are still slowly venturing into spicier foods, but that’s another great thing about making your own taco sauce. Your sauce, your way. Kick it up a notch or dial it back as needed.
The Many Uses of Taco Sauce
- Duh, use it on tacos
- As a dressing. We love it on this Quinoa Taco Salad
- On nachos. Our kids now demand lots of taco sauce whenever we make nachos
- It’s great on chili
- Goes great in a layered dip
- Eggs. Yup, eggs are great with taco sauce (or salsa or hot sauce)
- With fries as the new ketchup? No? Well then tell us your creative uses for taco sauce.
Putting this homemade taco sauce recipe together is as easy as owning a whisk. Just whisk it! You could also just use a fork, of course. We tried a version where we heated on the stove and simmered to see if it enhanced the flavor. Fortunately, we didn’t see a difference. So, skip the extra step and just whisk it together and serve!
We like to store the leftovers in a mason jar in the fridge and it should last for a couple of weeks–or make an extra large batch and freeze some of it. Enjoy!
The easy homemade taco sauce recipe:
Homemade Taco SaucePrint Rate
- 28 oz tomato puree
- 1/4-1/2 c water
- 1/4 c white vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic granules or garlic salt
- 2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- hot sauce (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- This is mild taco sauce, if looking for spicier, add your favorite hot sauce to your level of spiciness.