Are you trying to get your healthy eating back on track? We know the feeling. To help you on your way today’s recipe is Healthy Spinach Farro Lemon Chicken Soup and it’s packed with farro, lemon juice, vegetables and all sorts of goodness.
The start to the new year always tends to be a little rocky in our house. The holidays are great and all, but we usually get visited by holiday illness. Could we stay healthy just one year? Please! We fall way behind on our to do list. And well, sometimes we over indulge on desserts. It’s hard to turn down the 2nd slice of Pecan Pie. It’s hard to say no to Peanut Butter Bars. You understand, right? We all enter the holiday vowing to not over indulge, but then who wants to miss out on all the great holiday food? So by the time January rolls around it’s time to get back on track. In our house that means lots of Green Smoothies and lots of vegetable rich soups.
Chicken soup is pretty traditional when it comes to fighting off a cold. At least, that’s what Grandma always recommends. And whether chicken soup benefits are mainly psychosomatic or whether it really does provide relief through anti-inflammatory properties or other avenues, one thing is clear, when we’ve got the sniffles many of us turn to chicken soup as our comfort food of choice.
Looking to turn the January corner we wanted to be sure we did make a chicken soup with a lot of health benefits. We decided to do a spin on Chicken Noodle Soup by doing a Healthy Lemon Spinach Farro Lemon Chicken Soup packed with lots of vegetables.
Is Lemon Good for you?
Yes, Besides adding nicely to many flavor profiles, lemon juice also has lot of health benefits. Add lemons to your list of super foods that you should consume regularly. We also like to use it in our nighttime tea.
What is Farro?
Farro is a whole grain that touts its own health benefits. It has high levels of cholesterol-lowering fiber. It’s mineral rich which may help alleviate tension and it’s known as what we call a “smart carb”. Our bodies absorb smart carbs slower allowing us to keep our energy levels higher for longer. Who couldn’t use longer lasting energy? I know that would come in handy in our house where we’re constantly trying to keep up with our kids!
Enough reading, fix yourself some Healthy Lemon Farro Chicken Soup tonight!
Healthy Spinach Farro Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 T . coconut oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 medium carrots , peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 tsp . cumin
- 1 tsp . coriander
- 8 c . broth
- 1 8.8 oz . package Trader Joe's quick cook farro , or 1 cup regular (will take longer to cook)
- 2 c . shredded rotisserie chicken
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 6 oz . spinach , washed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cook, and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the carrot and celery, cook and stir for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the cumin and coriander, cook, and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add farro and lower heat to a simmer.
- Cook farro for 10 minutes if quick cook farro, 25-30 if regular.
- Add the chicken and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 3 minutes until wilted, but still green.
- Season with salt and pepper.
You also might like: