Today we’ll teach you our easy zucchini frittata recipe. This zucchini and herb frittata recipe is a breakfast and brunch favorite in our house and we’ll show you how easy it comes together.
Zucchini always gets planted in our garden along with lots of different fresh herbs. Besides being an easy to grow, we love simple sauteed zucchini as a summer vegetable, we love zucchini bread, and we’re huge fans of this easy zucchini frittata recipe.
If you’re a regular of this blog, you probably already know that we love frittata. It’s the perfect easy breakfast or brunch item. It’s easy to make, there are endless varieties, and it’s a great item to make ahead of time when you want an easy to reheat breakfast during the week. Some of our favorites include this ham and swiss chard frittata, this kale frittata, and this kale and sweet potato paleo frittata.
Frittatas are separated from omelets in how they are cooked. You start a frittata on the stovetop in a cast iron or oven safe pan because it gets finished in the oven. Insert standing clap here for the realization you don’t have to flip a frittata the way you do an omelet.
Easy Zucchini Frittata Recipe Inspiration
This easy zucchini frittata recipe was perhaps the first frittata recipe we ever made and it evolved from Giada de Laurentis asparagus frittata and a zucchini frittata recipe of my grandmothers. Now there are 2 ladies you’d be lucky to find in your kitchen. No offense to Giada who I’m sure is an amazing cook, but left to choose, the choice is easy and I’m going with my Grandmother every time! Grandma’s food is always the best, but in this instance, we’re happy to have both ladies contribute to our inspiration for this easy zucchini frittata recipe.
We make this zucchini frittata frequently during the summer when we have fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden. I think other vegetables would work also (asparagus, peppers, etc.), but you can’t go wrong with zucchini.
Easy Zucchini Breakfast Recipes
This zucchini frittata recipe will no doubt get a lot of use, but since zucchini is so plentiful here are a few other zucchini breakfast recipes we may try out:
- Zucchini Breakfast Burritos
- Zucchini Breakfast Toastadas
- Zucchini Breakfast Pizza
- Healthy Zucchini Burritos with Lentils
Easy Zucchini Frittata RecipePrint Rate
- 1 small zucchini , cut in half length wise and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot (or leek, or onion)
- 1 T . olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon half and half or heavy cream
- 1-2 T . fresh herbs (we used parsley and rosemary)
- fontina cheese , maybe 1/4 cup small cubes
- Heat nonstick pan.
- Add olive oil.
- Saute shallots for 1-2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- While cooking, whisk eggs.
- Add cream, salt, pepper, parley, and rosemary to eggs and whisk.
- Turn down heat, turn on broiler.
- Add eggs to pan with zucchini mixture and sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Cook until set, about 4-5 minutes (make sure egg isn’t boiling).
- Stick under broiler for about 4 minutes (check and rotate pan if necessary depending on the strength of your broiler).
- Let cool in pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Run rubber spatula around the eggs and slide onto plate.
- Let cool slightly so that cheese doesn’t all melt out, cut and serve.