We’re in love with this easy homemade flax cornbread recipe. My family sometimes devours it in a single sitting. We love to make it as a side dish when we make our Instant Pot Chili or a hearty soup like our Lentil Swiss Chard Soup, but sometimes we make it as a stand alone dish.
We’ve been trying to get the kids more involved in the kitchen and this homemade flax cornbread recipe is something we’ve made a lot lately. Measuring out ingredients is a great way for younger kids to work on their math and their fractions and following a recipe is a great way for them to practice following a set of instructions. We also believe in involving our kids in as many household chores as possible so they can start to appreciate the need for and the rewards of hard work. After all, the goal of parenting is to end up with well-rounded, self-sufficient individuals. And being able to cook for themselves and understand how to properly fuel their bodies is an amazing skill to pass on to your kids! Not to mention…
It’s hard to beat warm bread fresh from the oven! I think that’s one of the reasons that this homemade flax cornbread is one of the few recipes all of our kids love. That, and the fact that we sometimes allow them to eat it with butter, fruity butter, or our homemade chai apple butter. If it’s the 2nd day then we love toasting the cornbread under the broiler; You can plop your butter right on top so it gets all melty! On the 3rd day…okay, the cornbread is devoured quickly and rarely sees a 3rd day.
Why Flax Cornbread?
We use flaxseed in our baking whenever we can because of the many flaxseed health benefits. Benefits include:
- It’s high in fiber, but low in carbs
- promotes healthy skin and hair
- contains soluble fiber that may help reduce cholesterol levels
- high in antioxidants
- promotes digestive health
We hope you’ll give this easy homemade flax cornbread recipe a try and that your kids love it as much as ours do. Let us know what you think in the comments below.
The flax cornbread recipe:
- 1 c . cornmeal
- 1/3 c . flax
- 2/3 c . whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1/2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c . vegetable oil
- 1/4 c . brown sugar
- 1 c . buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix together dry ingredients: cornmeal, flax, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a seperate bowl mix liquid ingredients: buttermilk, eggs, and oil.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined (do not overmix!).
- Spread batter in greased 9x9 inch pan.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick in center comes out clean.