This dairy-free french toast recipe is made with almond milk and it’s a great easy breakfast when you’re in the mood for a little treat.
Lately, we’ve been buying a lot of challah bread from our local bakery (which is dairy free, but not vegan because it is made with eggs) and using it to make french toast for breakfast on the weekends. Our kids love it, but I don’t do so well with dairy so I wanted to make dairy-free french toast so I could enjoy it as well!
Keeping your French Toast Dairy-Free
A lot of traditional french toast recipes call for both butter and milk. If you want to keep your french toast dairy free then you just need to substitute in your favorite non-dairy milk and then either drop the butter or again find a suitable dairy-free alternative.
We love almond milk and it worked well so we used that instead of regular milk. When greasing the pan we use either coconut oil or vegan butter.
Choosing your bread
As stated above, we’ve been challah a lot for this recipe, but there are lots and LOTS of options when it comes to what bread you use for making french toast.
The Kitchn has a whole article on choosing the best bread for french toast. Yes, challah made the list!
Use their article as a guide if you like, but I’d also advise just to experiment a little and see what you like. Visit your local bakery and check out their bread options. Try a few and see what you like best. As mentioned earlier, challah should be a dairy free option (check the ingredients!), I have even made french toast with sourdough bread when making vegan french toast.
Additional French Toast Tips
Bon Appetit has the following article on common french toast cooking mistakes.
Check it out if you’re struggling, but don’t worry, making french toast isn’t rocket science. And if you are looking for a vegan french toast recipe, our vegan pumpkin french toast is also popular with our family!
For a few basic french toast making tips we’d suggest the following:
- choose your favorite bread–challah and baguettes are a good choice
- slice to an even thickness–3/4-1 inch thick
- use enough liquid for the bread to be coated on all surfaces and give it time to soak in
- stir the eggs very thoroughly–no one wants scrambled egg french toast
- have your favorite toppings on hand–powdered sugar is popular with our kids, brown sugar in a pool of vegan butter is my favorite!
Dairy Free French Toast
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 15 slices bread
- Whisk together all ingredients except bread.
- Arrange bread on a large tray.
- Pour liquid over bread evenly. Flip bread to ensure both side of bread have evenly soaked up the liquid.
- Heat nonstick pan on stovetop on medium low.
- Grease pan with coconut oil or favorite vegan butter.
- Cook bread in batches for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite toppings–fruit, syrup, powdered sugar, etc.