You’re going to love this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup. We’re always looking for good soup recipes to have in the fall and butternut squash soup of all kinds have become one of our autumn staples. This vegan butternut squash soup is thick, chunky, colorful, and perfect for the cooler weather. Plus, it’s a great healthy vegan recipe and can be easily frozen to reheat later when you are in need of an easy meal. We like to eat it with our garlic butter pizza, but obviously, if you’re following a strictly vegan diet you can enjoy it by itself or paired with something else of your choosing. It goes well with almost anything!*Affiliate Note
Roasted butternut squash is really tasty and has definitely become one of our favorite fall flavors. We make a really mean butternut squash pizza and have a great butternut squash pasta dish so look for those coming soon. But soup…..ah yes, soup! Soup might be our favorite use for butternut squash. We love to use our immersion blender to blend down some of the butternut squash (making the soup nice and thick), but we always leave some butternut squash cubes whole because they give the soup more texture and depth.
roasted butternut squash
We do have a version of this recipe that calls for heavy cream and the end result is really good, but my stomach has become very sensitive to heavy dairy and so this time around we wanted to go with vegan butternut squash soup. This vegan version uses coconut milk instead of heavy cream. And we love coconut milk so it’s a trade-off that is taste bud and stomach approved. We also love to bulk up our fall and winter soups so this one includes potatoes, carrots, and wild rice making it eat like a hearty meal. You could always sub in different vegetables of your choice or leave out the potatoes if you wanted to go paleo.
5 reasons to love butternut squash
- The taste – Taste has to be #1, right? Butternut squash has a sweet and nutty taste that we really love. It reminds some of pumpkin, but we think it deserves a holiday all of its own. You laugh, but butternut squash pie is a thing.
- Easy to prepare – You can cube it and cook it in a dish like this soup or you can easily roast full halves (pictured higher up on page). Here’s a simple roasted butternut squash recipe from Rachel Ray.
- The Color – Okay, this might seem like a simple one, but we eat with our eyes first. C’mon….is it not beautiful? I love that color!
- Vitamin Power – Butternut squash is high in vitamins C and A. One serving gives you half your recommended value of Vitamin C and 450% of your daily value of Vitamin A. Nice!
- Versatility – As mentioned, we love it in soup, on pizza, and on pasta. And that’s just getting started with the ways you can enjoy butternut squash. Lest we forget, it’s also great on its own!
So what are you waiting for? Grab some butternut squash and fix some of this vegan butternut squash soup tonight! And stay tuned for more recipes featuring butternut squash coming soon. It really is a fantastic ingredient.
The vegan butternut squash soup recipe:
You also might like: